TurboTax is an innovative tax software that gives millions of US taxpayers a helping hand whenever they need to file their state or federal taxes. The software is designed in such a way that it automatically calculates the tax requirement of a user based on the information given by that user. The biggest plus point of TurboTax is the flexibility it offers. TurboTax users have complete control over their data and can use and transfer it as they want. This post will give you a basic outline about what to do when you want to transfer TurboTax from one computer to another. You can also contact TurboTax customer care number to know more about the data protection features of the software and what you can do to secure your account.
Steps to follow when Installing TurboTax
While transferring your TurboTax data from one computer to another you need to first make sure that TurboTax is properly installed on the new computer where you want to transfer the data. Use the instructions given below to install TurboTax on the new computer:
- Step 1: You first need to end all the applications and programs running on your computer. TurboTax also recommends disabling your ant-virus and firewall software so that it does not interfere with the installation process.
- Step 2: The two ways of installing TurboTax is through a CD or by directly downloading the file from the TurboTax website. If you have the CD then just insert it into the optical drive and run the setup file. In the case of direct download, run the file as admin and agree to the license agreement.
- Step 3: If you would like to install TurboTax in a particular folder simple browse your computer, select the folder you want can click ‘Install’.
Steps to follow to transfer TurboTax Data
If you are using TurboTax on a new computer then it is not necessary for you to start from scratch but you can pick up where you left off. Once TurboTax is installed on both devices you can follow the instructions given below to transfer your tax returns from one computer to another.
- Step 1: Login to TurboTax on your old computer and open the file menu
- Step 2: Select ‘Save As’ and enter a location where you want to save the file
- Step 3: Type in the name of the backup file and press ‘Save’.
- Step 4: Use a CD or a pen drive to transfer the file to the new computer
- Step 5: Login to your TurboTax account on the new computer and open the file to continue from where you left off.
Users must note that when transferring data from your TurboTax account you should never use email as you risk losing your data. If you have any doubts about how your data is used or if you observer any data loss you should contact TurboTax technical support number and consult a certified expert when transferring your TurboTax data.